Testosterone Replacement Therapy


Testosterone Replacement Therapy

Six Month Hormone Balancing Program (Patients must qualify for hormone replacement therapy)

What is Testosterone?

Testosterone is a hormone produced by the testicles and is responsible for the proper development of male sexual characteristics. Testosterone is also important for maintaining muscle bulk, adequate levels of red blood cells, bone density, sense of well-being, and sexual and reproductive function.

Inadequate testosterone production is not a common cause of erectile dysfunction (ED). When ED does occur with decreased testosterone production, testosterone replacement therapy may improve the ED.

What causes testosterone deficiency?

As a man ages, the amount of testosterone in his body gradually declines. This natural decline starts after age 30 and continues throughout life. The significance of this decline is controversial and poorly understood. Among other potential causes of testosterone deficiency are:

  • Injury or Infection to the Testicles
  • Chemotherapy or Radiation Treatment for Cancer
  • Genetic Abnormalities such as Klinefelter’s Syndrome (extra x chromosome)
  • Hemochromatosis (too much iron in the body)
  • Dysfunction of the Pituitary Gland (a gland in the brain that produces many important hormones)
  • Medications, including hormone analogues used to treat prostate cancer and steroids
  • Chronic Illness
  • Cirrhosis of the Liver
  • Chronic Renal (Kidney) Failure
  • AIDS
  • Inflammatory Disease such as Sarcoidosis (a condition that causes inflammation of the lungs and other organs)
  • Stress
  • Alcoholism
  • Congenital Conditions, Kallman’s Syndrome (low hormones, inability to smell and other abnormalities)
What are the symptoms of testosterone deficiency?
  • Decreased Sex Drive
  • Decreased Sense of Well-being
  • Depressed Mood
  • Difficulties with Concentration and Memory
  • Erectile Dysfunction
What are the changes that occur in the body with testosterone deficiency?
  • Decrease in Muscle Mass
  • Increase Body Fat
  • Variable Effects on Cholesterol Metabolism
  • Decrease in Hemoglobin and Possibly Mild Anemia
  • Fragile Bones (osteoporosis)
  • Decrease in Body Hair
How do I find out if I have a testosterone deficiency?

The only accurate way to detect the condition is to have your blood tested to measure the amount of testosterone in your blood. The highest levels of testosterone are generally in the morning. This is why, we prefer if possible, to obtain early morning levels of testosterone.

According to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4 to 5 million American men may suffer from low testosterone, but only 5% are currently treated. What about the remaining 95%?

Doctors and scientists are well aware of the ramifications due to the absence of estrogen and progesterone in women. In the mean time men have kept their focus from themselves and their own hormonal induced weaknesses.

Why do men ignore this issue?

The fact that andropause comes on so gradual, is the reason why many men accommodate to the change. When the change happens we put it down to being “burnt out at work”, having a “mid-life crisis” or “just getting old”.

Men do not talk or complain since it is not the “manly thing to do”. We are taught to rise above our afflictions and never give the slightest indication of weakness.

Male pride is often our greatest strength and our greatest weakness! We are blasted with a reality check during our mid-forties. We are told that the problems we are experiencing are all part of aging and we should throw in the towel and “settle” into old age.

What can be done?

Through a discreet initial evaluation and blood work review to check your testosterone levels, Dr. Weiss will decide if testosterone replacement therapy is right for you. By balancing your hormones to optimum levels, you will notice many of your symptoms will dissipate. Your will start to build muscle mass, improve your sex life and alleviate memory loss. You will feel like you did in your mid 30‘s to early 40’s. Why accept getting old when you can do something about it?

  • Initial Evaluation with Dr. Weiss
  • Blood Interpretation and Strategy Session with Dr. Weiss
  • Six Month Supervision by Dr. George Weiss and Support Staff
  • All Written Prescriptions Needed for Hormone Balancing (natural bioidentical hormones compounded by pharmacists are sold separately)
  • Complimentary Dietary Intake Evaluation with a Health Educator
  • Access to Dr. Weiss During Normal Business Hours via Office Visit or Phone Sessions

Learn more